Applied Research, Analysis & Evaluation
Fields of research
- Decision Making
- Operations analysis
- High performing small teams
- Intelligence analysis
- Training, education and performance improvement
- Asking Good Questions, Freshwater Publishing, Adelaide, 2017.
- Applied Thinking for Intelligence Analysis, Air Power Development Centre, Canberra, 2014.
- Dirk Maclean and Charles Vandepeer, ‘Military Intelligence: Expectations and Challenges’, in Daniel Baldino and Rhys Crawley (Eds.), Intelligence and the function of government, Melbourne University Press, Melbourne, 2018.
Selected Conference Papers & Journal Articles
Links are provided to papers that are available publicly
Culture, People and Technology
- Culture, Technology and People: Lessons from the application of Air Power and Joint Operations in Conflict, Paper presented at the Inaugural Sir James Rowland Air Power Seminar, Air Power and National Security: the Strategic Dimension, October 2016.
- Charles Vandepeer, Self-Deception and the ‘Conspiracy of Optimism’, War on the Rocks, Jan 2019: https://warontherocks.com/2019/01/self-deception-and-the-conspiracy-of-optimism/
- James Regens, Matthew Uttley and Charles Vandepeer, Technological Optimism and the Imagined Future: Implications for Warfare, The Strategy Bridge, Feb 2020: https://thestrategybridge.org/the-bridge/2020/2/18/technological-optimism-and-the-imagined-future-implications-for-warfare
- Charles B. Vandepeer, James L. Regens, and Matthew R.H. Uttley, Surprise and Shock in Warfare: An Enduring Challenge, The Strategy Bridge, Oct 2020: https://thestrategybridge.org/the-bridge/2020/10/27/surprise-and-shock-in-warfare-an-enduring-challenge?rq=vandepeer
- Charles B. Vandepeer and James L. Regens, Sowing Darkness for Military Advantage: Deception, Wavell Room, Jan 2022: https://wavellroom.com/2022/01/28/sowing-darkness-with-deception/
- Charles Vandepeer, Terry Moon & Garth De Visser, ‘Linking Missions to Scenarios for Analysis of Military Macro-Systems’, OR Insight, April 2012.
- Improving intelligence capabilities in resource-constrained environments, Presentation to AIPIO National Intelligence Forum: Leadership and Intelligence, November 2016.
- Charles Vandepeer, ‘Intelligence and Knowledge Development: What are the questions intelligence analysts ask?’, Intelligence & National Security, March 2018: https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/02684527.2018.1454029?journalCode=fint20
- ‘Question-Asking in Intelligence Analysis: Competitive Advantage or Lost Opportunity?’, Air & Space Power Journal – A&F, United States Air Force Air University, December 2016.
- What are the Questions Intelligence Professionals Ask?, Paper presented at the International Studies Association 57th Annual Convention, Atlanta, USA, March 2016.
- Charles Vandepeer and James Regens, Teaching and Mentoring in Intelligence Education: Preparing Intelligence Professionals for Asking Better Questions, Paper presented at the 14th Annual Intelligence Association for Intelligence Education (IAFIE), July 2018
- Integrating Operational Intelligence Across Nations, Paper presented to the University of Oklahoma, Center for Intelligence & National Security Colloquium, Oklahoma, USA, September 2016.
- Intelligence Analysis and Threat Assessment, Conference Proceedings, Australian Security & Intelligence Conference, 2011.